Vegan Nuggets with Vegan Mustard Dipping Sauce
This recipe makes a big batch. This would be good for mothers with small children, you can make a big batch and heat them up as needed.
I got this recipe from TheVegLife.com
For the Chickpea Mixture:
1 can chickpeas rinsed, drained and patted dry with paper towels
1 green onion (scallion) rough chop
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 C fresh Italian parsley
For the Carrot Mixture:
1 large carrot rough chop
1 7 oz. can sliced mushrooms drained and squeezed completely dry using paper towels
To make the Veggie Nuggets:
1 Tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 Tbsp water allow to sit for 10 minutes
1/4 C all purpose flour (you can use gluten free if you like)
1/4 C panko breadcrumbs (you can use gluten free if you like)
Salted pretzels processed into fine crumbs (you can use gluten free)
Oil of your choosing for frying
For the Vegan "Honey" mustard dipping sauce:
1 Tbsp yellow mustard
2 Tbsp agave syrup
1/2 C white vinegar
1/4 C vegan mayonnaise
1/4 C vegan sour cream
1. Combine 1 Tbsp of ground flax with 3 Tbsp of water. Allow to sit for a least 10 minutes to thicken.
2. In the bowl of a processor, crush the pretzels to a fine crumb. Place on a flat plate.
3. In the bowl of a food processor, add the chickpeas, green onion, parsley, salt, pepper and garlic. Pulse a few times until its a coarse mixture. Remove to a large bowl.
4. No need to clean the processor, just add the carrots and mushrooms. It is imperative that the mushrooms (if using canned) are squeezed completely dry. Process until finely minced. Add to the chickpea mixture.
5. Add the flax mixture, flour and panko breadcrumbs. Stir to combine. If it seems to moist, add more flour or panko. It will still be sticky, but should be workable. Damp hands make forming the nuggets easier.
6. Using a cookie scoop, place 1 Tbsp of the mixture directly into the breadcrumbs. You can form by hand OR use the oval cookie cutter as I did. Completely coat the formed nuggets in the pretzel crumbs. Complete all 22 nuggets before proceeding.
7. Heat a pan over medium high to high heat and add oil suitable for pan-frying. Add half of the nuggets to the pan at a time and dry until golden on one side. Flip and repeat. Remove to paper towel to cool.
8. Combine all of the ingredients for the dipping sauce and serve.