Vegan Artichoke Cakes with Homemade Tartar Sauce
These taste just like crab cakes!!
I got this recipe from TheVegLife.com
I doubled this recipe
Oil for cooking
For the Artichoke Cakes:
1 Cup canned artichoke quarters or hearts, finely chopped (reserve juice)
2 Tbsp finely chopped shallots or green onions (scallions) (I used the shallots)
1/4 Cup finely chopped celery
1 Tbsp of the reserved juice from the artichokes
1/2 Cup Ritz crackers, crushed into small pieces (I also used gluten free panko for some to be gluten free)
1&1/2 tsp lemon juice
1&1/2 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 & 1/2 tsp pimento
1 Tbsp freshly chopped Italian parsley
For the Tartar Sauce:
1/4 Cup vegan mayonnaise
1 Tbsp dill pickles, finely chopped
1&1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
1&1/2 tsp capers, chopped
1/2 tsp grainy mustard
pinch of salt and pepper
1. Combine all of the ingredients for the artichoke cakes, set aside.
2. Preheat a skillet on medium high heat.
3. While the pan is h eating, combine all of the ingredients for the tartar sauce. Set aside.
4. Add about 1 tbsp of oil to the hot pan.
5. Create the patties, pressing firmly and then forming into shape.
6. It's important not to flip until they are golden on the first side. They will still be fragile at this point, so take care when turning.
7. Drain on paper towel. They will set up as the cool.
8. Serve with the prepared tartar sauce and a squeeze of fresh lemon.