Vegan Hot Dogs
I like the vegan hot dogs from Veganized in New Brunswick. I don't want to have to drive all the way there to get them so I made my own. Love them!!
How I like them. Ketchup, mustard and sauerkraut
1/2 medium onion coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
3/4 cup cooked pinto beans wells-drained
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp water
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp mace
1/8 tsp hickory smoked salt optional but good
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1/3 cup oatmeal rolled or quick oats, uncooked
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp ground flax seeds
1. Finely chop the onion and garlic. Heat a small non-stick skillet. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Transfer onion mixture to food processor or blender.
2. Add the pinto beans, water, soy sauce, tomato paste, and all seasonings to the food processor. Blend until it's a thin paste.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine remaining ingredients (gluten, oatmeal, yeast, and flax). Add the contents of the food processor and stir until combined. If it seems that there's not enough moisture, add another tablespoon or two of water. Knead in the bowl for about two minutes until a heavy gluten "dough" is formed.
4. Set up a steamer in a pot of water and bring the water to a boil. Cut off 8 pieces of aluminum foil, each about 6" long. Divide the gluten into 8 equal pieces. Place a piece of foil on the counter. Roll a piece of mixture between the palms of your hands until it's about size and shape of a hot dog. Place it on the foil and roll up. Roll the tube back and forth, pressing lightly with your hands, to give it an even shape, and then twist the ends closed. Repeat with the remaining mixture to form 8 vegan hot dogs.
5. Place all the vegan dogs in the top of a steamer, cover and steam for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before unwrapping. Store the vegan hot dogs in a covered container in the refrigerator. Warm gently in a frying pan or on a grill before serving.
Recipe is from FatFree Vegan Kitchen