My daughter Julie has been waiting for me to try this recipe she gave me a bit ago. I tried it today. Good thing it wasn't warm out today because I would have been out on the golf course instead of the kitchen trying this recipe today. We loved it! Thanks Julie!
Finished with the sauce on. I added sweet chili sauce to dip this in. I liked this very much, probably a good appetizer.
I used Frank's sweet chili sauce (use enough to coat the broccoli after frying)
The recipe called for a mixture of vegan mayo, chili paste and agave mixed together (this is in my picture) but after trying the recipe we all agreed that you should just use Frank's sweet chili sauce.
1 cup almond milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup all purpose flour (I used gluten free flour)
1/2 cup cornstarch
2 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp salt
And the rest:
2 cups panko (I used gluten free)
1 head of broccoli
light oil of choice for frying
1. Make the batter, add the apple cider vinegar to the almond milk in a small bowl and let sit for a few minutes to make vegan buttermilk.
2. Add the flour, cornstarch and salt to a medium size mixing bowl. Add the hot sauce and almond milk mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk together until combined.
3. Put the panko in another bowl.
4. Cut broccoli into florets.
5. Heat the oil on medium high in a medium saucepan.
6. Dip each floret of broccoli in the batter, then the panko and coat thoroughly. Once the oil is hot add the broccoli and cook until golden brown.
7. Mix the cooked broccoli and the sauce in a bowl and serve with extra sweet chili sauce on the side for extra dipping.